PCA Snapshot Week of October 21-October 26
By: WebmasterDate: Oct 21, 2019 Tags: Uncategorized
Elementary Express & Secondary Snapshot, October 21-October 26
“How to help your student be successful in school.”
As the end of the quarter approaches, I know many parents are looking for key tools to help their children succeed in their classes. Here are some ways I have found success with my own children and I also found some ideas from Dr. Michele Borba, a parenting expert posted on her website (http://micheleborba.com) that might help you. They are as follows:
- Pray for your children every day.
- Look at the PCA Parent Portal every day to see how your child/children are doing.
- “Stress” Be on time and attendance. Research shows school attendance is of paramount importance. Being late just 10 minutes each day can add up to 30 hours of lost instruction time.”
- Prioritize schoolwork. Develop a weekly schedule for your children with priorities of family, church, and school work.
- Encourage and set an expectation of turning in homework. So many of our students do not understand that homework not turned in is a zero inthe grade book.
- Get help so your child will succeed. Don’t wait! Find a tutor from PCA or somewhere else, but get help right away. Don’t give up!
I am praying for you all as you navigate these years. It is not for the faint of heart.
I am praying for you!
Monday, October 21
- PTF Meeting, 3 pm, Room 302. The PTF invites all PCA parents to attend this meeting and learn more about how you can directly impact your child’s classroom
- 5th-8th Grade Girls Basketball, 1st practice, 3:30 pm-5 pm, Butler Gymnasium
- Athletic Booster Board Open House, 6:30 pm, Media Center. The PCA Athletic Booster Board (ABB) would like to invite you to attend their OPEN HOUSE on Monday, 10/21. We’ll be meeting in the Media Center/Library at 6:30 pm for casual conversations and introductions before moving into our monthly meeting at 7:00 pm. If you’ve been curious about the ABB and possibly interested in becoming a part of a great collection of parents passionate about our PCA Eagles….this is a perfect opportunity to meet the members and observe a meeting. This attendance would also count toward the three required meetings to become eligible as a voting member of the ABB.
Tuesday, October 22
- Adrian College Lunchroom Visit
- Varsity Volleyball Teal Attack, 6:15 pm, Butler Gymnasium. This game is being played in honor of Tonya Mitchell, former PCA Administrative Assistant, and Class of 2018 Sponsor. Tonya is fighting ovarian cancer at this time, so this game will be one where we raise awareness and show our support by hosting a Teal-Attack! Our players will be wearing teeshirts donated by Michigan Ovarian Cancer Alliance, Michigan’s only statewide organization devoted to ovarian cancer awareness, education, support, and advocacy, and we will be distributing literature about the disease to raise awareness. We look forward to Tonya joining us at this game! Get your teal on and join us for this special night at PCA!
Wednesday, October 23
- Picture Retake Day, 8 am- 10 am for middle and high school, 8 am-12:30 pm for elementary
- Informational meeting for high school students interested in Varsity Co-op Wrestling with Lutheran Westland, 3:10 pm, Miss Cole’s room, #24. This is a new winter sports option beginning this year. The AD and Wrestling Coach from Lutheran Westland will be providing details during this meeting.
Thursday, October 24
- Varsity Volleyball Senior Night
Friday, October 25
- Half-Day of School, End of 1st Quarter
- MHSAA Cross Country Regional at Chandler Park Golf Course, 12801 Chandler Park Drive, Detroit, 48213. The girls’ race begins at 3:30 pm with the boys’ race following at 4:30 pm. There is a $6.00 gate fee set by the MHSAA.
Saturday, October 26
- PCA hosts the ACT Test
We recommend spending a few minutes reading the full newsletter that is applicable to your child’s grades.
Game Calendar, Monday, October 21, through Saturday, October 26
Tuesday, October 22nd
JV & Varsity Girls Volleyball vs. Charyl Stockwell Prep Academy / Home / 5:30 & 6:30 pm. Teal Attack!
Boys Varsity Soccer Regional Semi-Final vs. Inter City / University Liggett, Thanasas Field / 4:00 pm
Thursday, October 24th
Varsity Co-Op Football vs. Lutheran Northwest-Played at Lutheran Westland / Home / 7:00 pm
JV & Varsity Girls Volleyball vs. Lutheran Westland / Home / 5:30 & 6:30 pm. Varsity Volleyball Senior Night!
Friday, October 25th
Varsity Cross Country – Regional at Chandler Park Golf Course / Away / 3:30 pm