The Gift of Blood is the Gift of Life
By: WebmasterDate: Jan 16, 2015 Tags: School News
PCA’s National Honor Society is partnering with the Red Cross by hosting a blood drive on Friday, February 13, from 1pm until 7pm. This is the second year for the NHS Blood Drive and we want to increase the number of donors. Some interesting facts about blood needs in the United States, (taken from American Red Cross website):
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- More than 41,000 blood donations are needed every day.
- A total of 30 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- Sickle cell disease affects more than 70,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with the disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- More than 1.6 million people were diagnosed with cancer last year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
You can help to save a life by donating blood!
Sign up today-here’s how:
- Sign up in the Secondary Office
- Call 734-459-3505, Ext. 3159
- Sign up online at Red Cross Blood. Once there, click on Make a Blood Donation Appointment. Type in our sponsor code “pcacanton” and it will take you directly to the PCA/Calvary drive where you can register and reserve a time. The requested information is strictly a means to contact donors to remind them about the appointment.
- Please bring a picture ID or donor card when you come to your donation appointment. Students who are 16 year olds must bring a proof of birth date and picture ID. They also need a Parental Consent Form: CLICK HERE FOR PARENTAL CONSENT FORM.
Please help us make this very important event a success at PCA by registering now!