Mark 10:45, “For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (ESV)
Developing a life of service to our Lord is important to our student body. Serving in their communities is one important way that our students live out their Christian faith. Through service, students discover their spiritual gifts and grow to see their place in God’s work.
PCA students have unique opportunities to serve in many areas. As part of our secondary Bible curriculum, high school students volunteer and serve outside of school five hours each quarter. Middle school students serve two hours each quarter outside of school. In addition to serving each quarter, all students and staff are encouraged to participate in our annual Servathon, Project SHINE (Serving Him In Neighborhoods Everywhere).
Each year, Plymouth Christian Academy students, staff, and parent volunteers embark on a weeklong Servathon, Project SHINE. Project SHINE serves several purposes for PCA. The most important purpose is to open the eyes of PCA students to the needs of others and then train them to step out and serve. At PCA, we strive to produce students who will lead lives dedicated to learning, leadership, and service. Project SHINE helps us fulfill this mission by educating our students about the needs in our community and around the world, and then having them perform age-appropriate service projects or volunteer work.
Project SHINE also serves as a fundraiser for PCA. It works like any other “athon”; friends and family support the participant’s day of service by making grateful for the outpouring of support the school receives through this project.
During the 2016 Project SHINE, PCA students, staff, and parent volunteers have the honor of serving the following organizations, either by donation of items that were collected and assembled, or through a day of volunteer work on site:
- World Medical Relief, Southfield
- Starfish Family Services, Canton & Livonia
- ReStore Habitat for Humanity, Ann Arbor
- Plymouth Senior Center
- Gleaners DTE Garden
- Penrickton Center for Blind Children, Taylor
- Waltonwood Senior Center, Canton
- Big Family of Michigan
- Plymouth Salvation Army
- Ronald McDonald House, Ann Arbor
- Mott Children’s Hospital, Ann Arbor
- Voice of the Martyrs, Parachutes for Colombia
- The Greening of Detroit
- Indiana Wesleyan School of Nursing and Ken & Karen Buckner, Missionaries to Zambia
- Bethania Kids Project in India
- The Bottomless Toy Chest, Troy
- Canton Fire Department
- Vista Maria, Dearborn Heights
- Detroit Rescue Mission, Dignity House
- New Life City Community Recreation Center, Hamtramck
- Northridge Church Foster Care Duffel Bag Program
Check out our students and staff in action in the 2016 Project SHINE video.